Representing individuals in Lawrenceville and Cumming and all throughout North Atlanta metro Georgia facing drug charges.
Understanding Drugs And Their Assigned Classifications In Georgia
Individuals facing drug charges — regardless of the type — want to know what they are up against. How much money will I have to fork over in fines? How much time in jail will I have to serve?
The answer to each of these questions depends on a variety of factors. The lawyer you hire to help defend and investigate your case is one factor. The classification of the drug in question will also play a part in the severity of penalties.
Drugs And Their Assigned Schedules
The state of Georgia classifies drugs, also referred to as controlled dangerous substances (CDS), as schedules. There are five different schedules for CDS. The fines and jail time associated with possession of a Schedule I drug carry the highest penalties, as they have a high potential for abuse. Schedule V penalties are the least severe, due to their small likelihood for abuse.
- Drugs that fall under Schedule I: Heroin, LSD and Ecstasy are among the drugs classified as Schedule I controlled substances.
- Drugs that fall under Schedule II: Cocaine, morphine and methamphetamine are among the drugs classified under Schedule II.
- Drugs that fall under Schedule III: Anabolic steroids, such as ketamine, are included among the Schedule III controlled dangerous substances. Narcotic painkillers, such as OxyContin and Percocet, are also on the list.
- Drugs that fall under Schedule IV: Diazepam and clonazepam are among the list of controlled substances under Schedule IV.
- Drugs that fall under Schedule V: Codeine is the most popular drug found on the list of Schedule V drugs.
An Experienced Attorney On Your Side
Given the repercussions that could stem from any drug conviction, individuals facing charges related to the sale, possession or manufacturing of a controlled substance should seek the help of a criminal defense attorney — an experienced one.
I am criminal defense lawyer Jacob Stidham and my entire legal career and experience are devoted to handling only drug charges and other criminal matters.
I have a thorough knowledge of the law and procedures available. I know the tactics police and prosecutors use and possess extensive jury trial experience.
Rest assured, I can handle your case.
Call 470-338-5911 to learn more about my credentials and how I can help you. You can also send me a confidential email. Free initial consultations.